Thursday, June 5, 2008

12 Weeks Today



The baby is 12 weeks today. I went to the doctor yesterday for an early ultrasound screening test. The test has two parts, ultrasound and blood work. The doctor measures the back of the baby’s neck to determine if there are any abnormalities that may lead to conditions such as Down Syndrome, Spinabifida, etc. Based on the doctor’s measurements, he says everything is as it should be and the baby is healthy and strong. The blood work was sent to a lab for testing, but based on his initial measurements, he feels confident that everything will be fine.

Apparently, the baby had to be in two positions to take the appropriate measurements, on its (notice I says “its” until I know the sex!) back and side. Taking measurements while on its back was no problem. It was when they need the baby to turn over on its side that was difficult. The technician tried to aggravate the baby to get it to turn around by shaking my belly and after many attempts, it finally worked. The baby was obviously upset because it flipped over quickly, crossed its legs and threw its arms up over its head, an obvious pouting position. I can already tell which personality it takes after – Me! Although I have to say that I can already tell it has Steven’s legs!

My pregnancy symptoms come and go. Last week I thought that all was passing, but alas, the throw ups started again on Monday. For all my friends who will become pregnant one day, as soon as you know you are pregnant, get rid of your normal detergent and dryer sheets and buy fragrance free everything! The smell will make you sick! The doctor says that it may take me until the week 15 to start feeling back to normal, which seems like forever away. I keep telling myself that it will pass and that although I feel crappy, the baby is apparently taking advantage of my morning sickness and is getting stronger and healthier every day!

I have definitely gained weight which initially traumatized me (to the point of tears I might add), but now I am starting to accept my new size, which will continue to get bigger and bigger! As long as Steven still finds me attractive, then I am happy! I was worried about what the doctor would say when I weighed in yesterday. He actually told me that I was right where I should be and there is not cause for concern. The additional carbs I have to eat to feel less nauseous has apparently helped me pack on the right amount of pounds to help the baby grow and get stronger by the day. That made me feel better, but I do think I need to remove bean burritos from my diet!

As far as the house is concerned, all interior doors are in place and we are close to finishing all of the trim around the doors and windows. Next comes the caulking! Our window treatments are ordered and will be installed in approximately 4-5 weeks. We haven’t started working on the nursery yet, which is fine because I want to wait until we know the sex so that I can accessorize with pink or blue!

Steven is keeping very busy with golf these days. He is in a tournament this weekend and so far he is doing well. I am traveling to Birmingham next weekend for Christine’s baby shower and am looking forward to some desperately needed girl time with my Libra group! Other than golf and finishing the house, we do not have any big plans for the rest of the summer, other than trying to stay out of the oppressive heat! Emily is engaged and is planning a wedding in August. The doctor gave me the green light to travel overseas (I will be 5 months along at that point) and Steven and I are in the process of organizing out travel arrangements. We can’t wait to see the family and all of our friends in Scotland!

That is all I have for now. Signing off!
Katie

No comments: